Once your DNA Kit arrives, please complete the following steps:
- Log in to your personal portal to verify the DNA Kit. This links the unique verification code on the kit to your dog.
- Collect a DNA sample from your dog using the instructions below.
- Place the prepaid shipping label on the box and ship the sample back to our lab.
Collecting the DNA sample from your dog is pretty straightforward. You can watch our short instructional video, How to Use the DNA Kit, which can be accessed at dogagingproject.org/dnakit, or follow these simple steps:
Instructions for Saliva Collection
IMPORTANT: To obtain a usable genetic sample, it is important to swab your dog’s cheek at least 30 minutes after your dog has eaten and at least 10 minutes since your dog has had anything to drink.
- Open the sealed packet where indicated and remove the cheek swab and collection tube. Please DO NOT touch the spongy tip of the swab.
- Place the spongy tip of the swab in your dog’s cheek. Try to keep your dog from biting the swab. You may need to hold your dog’s head or have someone help you during the collection procedure. Collect saliva for 30 seconds by moving the swab and mopping up saliva where it naturally pools in the cheek pouch.
- Hold the tube upright and unscrew the cap from the tube. Please DO NOT spill the liquid in the collection tube. (Rinse with water if the liquid comes into contact with skin or eyes.)
- Turn the cap with the attached cheek swab upside down and place the cheek swab into the collection tube. Screw the cap on tightly to prevent leakage during transport.
- Invert the collection tube vigorously 10 times to thoroughly mix the sample.
- Use a permanent marker to write your dog’s name on the tube label.
- Place the well-sealed collection tube into the bubble sleeve, place the bubble sleeve into the biospecimen bag, and return it to the box that it originally came in.
- Place the prepaid shipping label on the box, seal the box and drop into any mailbox. Please remember to ship the sample back to us within 1-2 days of collection.